Saturday, February 5, 2011

The First Prayer

What is the first thing you eat, drink or even do in the morning. After stumbling out of bed, do you find your way into the kitchen to make that first cup of coffee? Do you head to the bathroom and do your daily necessities? Maybe that is too much information (TMI, as my daughter calls it.) Or do you just sit for a minute, wait for the morning aches to fade and the haze from sleep clear from your mind? I am usually awakened by the dogs who want me to tell them one more time that I love them and lick my face or whatever is exposed outside the covers. Whether it is the coffee or the dogs that wake me up, God is usually not one of the very first things I think of, and I think God is OK with that, but when I smell the coffee, have a little breakfast or kiss my wife, then I become much more thankful. Maybe that first prayer is delayed until I am warming up in the shower, or maybe its as I am reading the paper, or maybe its just a momentary sigh about a trouble of the day, knowing that I will need help. Whenever that first prayer happens, I know that it will be heard.

Let us pray....
Oh God of the dawning beauty, the earth has reached another morning, and another chance for a fresh start. Bless me and mine today as we face the tasks, the joys and challenges that will face us. There may be trouble that is unexpected; there may be joys greater than I could have imagined; or there could be just another day to walk with you, Lord and find the blessings in the ordinary events of the day. May your Spirit bring me to choices that will bless and share goodness with everyone who walks beside me onto today's path.

No comments:

Post a Comment