Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Papers that cut

How many times do you have to shuffle through papers? Probably every day, even if you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to file a 1040A form. We rifle through bank statements, junk mail, bills, health forms and ballots on a regular basis without blinking an eye. There is so much information that we have to check, fill out, record, file and shred that we often don't even think about the amount of paperwork that we go through on a daily basis. This prayer is for those who live with paper cuts and dried-out ball-point pens.

O Lord of the setting sun, it seems that our world is piled high with papers and file cabinets that have little to do with the beauty that you have created, and yet our lives is quite often corralled by red tape. Help me cut through the red tape and provide for my family and those I love. Give me wisdom and clarity as I fill out the forms and get to the bottom of all of the stack of papers in front of me. But even more importantly, help me to focus on what is important; namely, the loves of my life, the beauty of creation, the goodness of my friends and the joys that I too often shove aside as I reach fo that stack of bills. Lift me, O Spirit of God, above these trivial things and teach me to let them go. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment