Monday, February 7, 2011

A prayer for shopping

I've always wondered what Jesus would say about the need we have to go shopping. I can certainly find hints about his thoughts in a few Gospel passages, such as the rich young man and the eye of a needle, or the parable of Lazurus and Dives, or even the coin with Ceasar's face imprinted on it. But even so, shopping is a necessity of life. We have to shop for groceries or clothes, or other daily needs. 
Religious folk tell us that God and prayer should be a part of that "daily grind". But how many of us take the time to pray as we get out of the car, grab the grocery shopping cart and begin tooling our way around the aisles of the grocery store? Why not get in the habit of make a regular chore into an opportunity for regular prayer?"

Let us pray....
O Lord who provides for our every need, I ask your blessing, strength and endurance as I wander around this store, seeking the best buys and best quality of food (clothing, auto, toys, etc.) for me and mine. Keep the smile in my heart, so that I might greet strangers and friends and be a blessing. Remind me with every purchase that I do not live by bread alone, but by every Word that comes from you. Make me a good steward of the gifts you have given me, so that I (or my family and I) might use your abundance for blessing others. With every purchase, teach us to rejoice in the good gifts that we have and lead me away from the temptation of greed. I pray this in the name of my Lord Jesus who holds all things in his hands. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment